The Top 5 Reasons You Should Have A Travel Credit Card
No matter how you spin it, traveling isn't always completely free. But traveling can be more affordable(and at times free) due in part to points and miles. And you can accumulate those points and miles much more quickly by having a travel credit card. While we have about a dozen travel credit cards, that's not for everyone. But we do think it's a good idea for those of you who enjoy traveling, to at least have one or two travel credit cards in your wallet. Here are the top five reasons you should have a travel credit card.
Our Top 5 Reasons You Should Have A Travel Credit Card
- Earn sign-up bonuses. Most travel credit cards offer lucrative sign-up bonuses. The Hilton Honors Surpass Credit Card by American Express is offering 125,000 Hilton Honors points after you spend $3,000 or more on purchases in the first three months. And those 125,000 points can be worth well between eight hundred and a thousand dollars in free travel!
- Earn points and miles. Points and miles do help you earn free flights and free hotel stays. Having a travel credit card means that you earn those points and miles even more quickly. Most travel credit cards earn a certain number of points and or miles for every dollar you spend. And some credit cards have bonus categories where you earn extra points or miles at restaurants, grocery stores or on gas purchases.
- Improve your credit score. Despite the myths and misconceptions, having a credit card will help you build and improve your credit score. It's just important to make sure you pay your credit card off each month and to keep your utilization low. Both of those things will help your credit score climb upward.
- Save money. Not only do you get points and miles on your purchases, but many credit card companies including American Express and Chase offer cashback offers. For example, American Express currently has an Amex Offer for $5.00 back on any purchase of $25.00 or more at Bed Bath & Beyond.
- Other credit card perks. Many travel credit cards come with lounge access at airport lounges, rental car protection, extended warranties on electronics, etc. And most airline credit cards come with priority baggage and free checked baggage. These extra perks can add up.
Credit Card Myths & Misconceptions
There are a lot of misconceptions about credit and credit cards. But having a credit card (or a few travel credit cards) can definitely improve your credit health and be a good financial decision. Plus you'll earn points and miles to help reduce the cost of traveling. It's important to be responsible with those credit cards and of course pay them off in full each month. But if you are paying your insurance, utilities and groceries on a debit card, it's definitely worthwhile to get a travel credit card and use that credit card to pay your monthly expenses.
Our Top Picks
If you are looking for the right travel credit card, there are several great options. Be sure to read the list of our favorite travel credit cards.